Job Description Major Gift Officer [MGO]
Missionaries of the Sacred Heart
ABOUT THE MISSIONARIES OF THE SACRED HEART
The Missionaries of the Sacred Heart (MSC), USA Provice, based in Aurora, Illinois, is celebrating 140 years in North America. For the last 60 years, the MSC have been actively involved in overseas missions. But as a new Century has begun, the MSC have been actively transforming their ministry focus to the needs of American Catholics and other people of Christian faith in aiding the spiritual journey and personal search for God’s grace especailly in healing of life’s hurts and wounds. The MSC Priests and Brothers are down to earth religious that live out their lives dedicated to helping others understand God’s deep love for each and every person. The MSC say; “we love as Jesus loved.”
Oversee and grow the Major and Planned Giving area for the Mission Development Office of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, USA Province. This is a “hands on” position requiring focused attention to planning, implementation, and follow-up of identified major donors. The MGO will also assist the Development Director, as part of the management team, in all aspects of fundraising activities related to Major Gifts and Planned Giving.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the missionaries throughout the Province to help promote the needs of the Province.
- Identify, research, cultivate, solicit, and steward Major Donors and Major Donor prospects.
- Assist the Development Director and identified Priests and Brothers (particularly the Provincial) in the cultivation and solicitation of a select portfolio of Major Donors.
- Coordinate and maintain Planned Giving activities, solicitations, marketing, and follow-up efforts to grow the number and kinds of deferred-giving opportunities for our donors (wills, bequests, annuities, trusts, insurance, etc.).
- Design, prepare, and distribute information about gifting opportunities through print and electronic means.
- Oversee the maintenance of computer and hard-copy files of department donors, assuring accuracy and securing confidentiality of any and all information.
- Develop and adhere to budgets and annual goals, as well as specific project deadlines.
- Develop and maintain personal contact with identified donors through on-going written, electronic, verbal, and face-to-face methods to steward and grow their interest in and contributions to the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, USA Province.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience (1-3 years) in a non-profit fundraising setting, with specific responsibilities for Major and Planned Gifts. Higher Ed experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required, CFRE a plus.
- Knowledge of the particular fundraising style associated with religious-based organizations preferred.
- Must be able to work independently on specific time-sensitive projects.
- Travel required. Must be able to visit selected donors in all parts of the country.
- Must be familiar with and adhere to the ethical standards of the National Catholic Development Conference and Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency in the use of online CRM [database] software.
- Proficiency in English required. Bilingual proficiency English/Spanish welcomed.
- Valid Driver License.
SALARY AND BENEFITS PACKAGE
The Missionaries of the Sacred Heart are able to offer a salary, incentive and benefits package at the top end of the scale to the most qualified candidate. Qualified candidates are invited to email a cover letter, salary requirements along with an attached resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.